Re: Microsoft's Early Xmas Present.

From: Brett Glass (brettat_private)
Date: Thu Jan 03 2002 - 11:10:23 PST

    At 10:01 AM 1/3/2002, John Sage wrote:

    >The issue of dialups as an underlying base of infected, unpatched hosts is underappreciated, IMHO..
    >
    >As an examle of the scope of the problem, at home I'm on a dialup to AT&T through their Seattle WA pop, with a dynamic IP in the 12.82.x.x range of AT&T's 12.x.x.x class A.

    We NAT our transient (as opposed to full-time) dialups for this
    reason: It protects users from all such attacks. Users who run
    servers are, of course, expected to know more about what they're
    doing. However, we do our best protect them as well; our log monitor
    firewalls worms out of the network as soon as they are detected.

    --Brett