RE: Name that Trojan

From: Michael Ward (Mwardat_private)
Date: Wed Jan 09 2002 - 14:21:26 PST

    Info taken from the following website....

    http://secured.orcon.net.nz/page29.html

    Backnote
    This trojan is your average password stealing trojan that tries to send
    passwords it collects to a hotmail account . There are two variants of
    the backdoor. They have been circulated in e-mail and newsgroups
    postings as attachment files called PICTURE.EXE and MANAGER.EXE, sized
    353792 bytes and 348672 bytes. Both of them copy themselves to the
    Windows directory as a file called NOTE.EXE file name and register
    themselves to be executed every time Windows boots up.

    After this, the trojan gathers information from the machine, including
    username and password, copies them to an encrypted DAT file and tries to
    e-mail that file to addresses abrebat_private and chinafaxat_private
    This trojan does not spread by itself. It can be removed simply by
    deleting the NOTE.EXE file and the original carrier file. It is
    recommended that you change your password if you believe to be affected
    by this trojan.

     A-trojan
    This trojan is in some weird language that I don't understand but from
    what I can gather it can do quite a few things . The server opened port
    170 tcp on my computer but it is probably configurable .

    Removal :
    Go to start and then to run and type regedit .
    When regedit opens you will need to follow the following path
    Once you have done that , look for the word Rundll16 , delete this
    registry key .
    Reboot .
    Now go to start , then to find and look for rundll16.exe , when you find
    it right click on the file and choose delete . Now go to windows system
    directory and delete the following files : MdiHole.exe, MsDecay.scr,
    Msvsrv.exe and watching.dll
    Reboot , and your pc should be clean