Re: Stack Execution

From: Kurt Seifried (bugtraqat_private)
Date: Fri Feb 15 2002 - 13:03:14 PST

    > If I disable stack execution in Solaris 6 and 8, am I still vulnerable to
    the SNMP vulnerability.  Cert makes a comment to this but it isn't clear.
    Either it stops stack smashing or it doesn't.  Any information would be
    appreciated.

    > Thank you in advance,
    >
    > Charles

    It stops some stack smashing, but not all. In Linux for example even with
    Solar Designer's OpenWall kernel patch, ImmunixOS addons and the like it's
    still possible to smash the stack.

    It's like any security, you'll be a bit more secure, but never 100%.

    Kurt Seifried, kurtat_private
    A15B BEE5 B391 B9AD B0EF
    AEB0 AD63 0B4E AD56 E574
    http://seifried.org/security/