Re: SNMP Scans 02/17/02

From: Valdis.Kletnieksat_private
Date: Thu Feb 21 2002 - 11:02:36 PST

    On Tue, 19 Feb 2002 09:50:39 EST, Security Coordinator <securityat_private>  said:

    > would be hard for them to know, but then why is it we see so many spoofed
    > packets around? There should be ZERO of them on the net. Every router knows
    > what addresses to expect to be inside vs outside.
    >
    > I won't belabour the point, but YES, you should not just report it to the
    > ISP, you should let everyone know where attacks come from. What we REALLY
    > need is a database and system good enough to understand the topology of the
    > net and processes attack reports in a sophisticated enough way that we can
    > say things like "if this router was filtering like thus, this would be
    > impossible" and if an ISP won't configure their equipment properly, then they
    > can be held liable.

    You know that, I know that - we put the lack of martian-packet
    filtering in the SANS ddos document, it's mentioned in the SANS Top10,
    and in the Top20.  I put it into the white paper that got used as the
    basis for the Center for Internet Security benchmarks.  It's hardly news.

    And RFC1918 says those address spaces are *not* for public use - but
    if you go over to the NANOG list and suggest that ISPs filter
    *RFC1918* packets that come out of customer sites (or quit numbering
    their router point-to-point links out of 1918 space, which hoses Path
    MTU discovery when our border routers correctly reject their
    1918-sourced ICMP packets), you will surely start a flame-fest.

    I'm afraid you're right - the only way those ISPs will change their attitude
    is if one gets sued for contributory negligence for not filtering.

    --
    				Valdis Kletnieks
    				Computer Systems Senior Engineer