RE: SNMP Scans 02/17/02

From: Tyrannis Von Nettesheim (tyrannisat_private)
Date: Wed Feb 20 2002 - 20:32:20 PST

    Folks:

    I usually just lurk around here, and try to add value when I can, and
    moreover, enjoy the great value of everyone's experiences with security
    events and issues. The bottom commentary chilled me a bit when I read it, so
    I choose to comment.

    To whoever wrote the below commentary, please note I have a different point
    of view than you, and this is not a personal retort.

    Saying ISP's are responsible for the wrongdoing of people is like making the
    same analogy of making the phone company responsible for bookies doing
    illegal gambling, or making hardware stores responsible for selling hammers
    to murders. ISP's provide a means to communicate, that's all. Traffic
    filtration always has negative implications, from censorship to the more
    technically obvious ones of taxing the processing <CPU> limits of firewalls
    and routers and requiring additional ISP investment.

    All of these things solve the problem like cement seals up a crack in a
    sidewalk. Educating ISP's is a solution, but the real solution?

    Stop producing the broken tools that create these holes. SNMP was never
    meant to be a secured transport for performance information. Most all
    Internet protocols were designed in an age where the concepts of trust and
    machine / entity identification were assumed to be moot or unimportant. That
    landscape has changed, but we're still stuck with things like SNMP and SMTP
    that understand nothing about security, because they were not intended to,
    and were never coded to be so.

    Let's spend our time pushing commercial entities and the free source
    movements around the world to produce the secure transports for our data
    today, and less time trying to find culprits for the problem of dealing with
    the legacy of today. Finger pointing just produces a lot of confusing
    directions. If we all point our finger @ tomorrow, we'll get to a securer
    net a lot quicker.

    -T