Re: Virus/trojan tunnel out from behind firewall?

From: Rich Puhek (rpuhekat_private)
Date: Sun Feb 24 2002 - 23:37:24 PST

    David Carmean wrote:

    > On Sun, Feb 24, 2002 at 10:22:12PM -0600, Rich Puhek wrote:
    > > David Carmean wrote:
    >
    > > > Have there been any cases of a trojan/virus/etc tunnelling out from
    > > > behind a firewall and thus providing an attacker a way into the
    > > > "chewy center"?
    > >
    > > Do you mean a trojan/virus that actively establishes a tunnel through
    > > SSH, etc to an outside machine as a method of bypassing a stateful
    > > firewall?
    > >
    > > Or do you just mean that a trojan/virus/etc has provided an opening
    > > despite the firewall?
    > >
    > > I'd also consider the gray areas in between, like worms/trojans that
    > > transfer into (passwds, etc) back through SMTP, HTTP, or IRC.
    >
    > I was thinking more of the first example, an ssh/stunnel/other tunnel
    > out from the infected host to some other compromised box, which would
    > give an attacker a wormhole into the center of a corporate network.
    > In realtime.
    >
    > For sites which allow unrestricted outbound connections, it would
    > probably be impossible to detect if the trojan did nothing else
    > destructive to arouse suspicion.

    That would be a challenge, especially if the outside box was listening
    on say, port 80. I'd assume that the outside box was basically the
    "host" or master machine, probably running on a less secure network (one
    that allowed incoming connections to privileged ports).

    Next defense would be noticing odd traffic (excessive data transfer,
    excessive length of connection between the two machines if the tunnel
    was kept up instead of discrete transactions like innocent HTTP, etc.).

    --Rich

    Rich Puhek
    ETN Systems Inc.
    2125 1st Ave East