Possible Worm: UDP Source port 770

From: Byrne Ghavalas (byrne.ghavalasat_private)
Date: Mon Feb 25 2002 - 04:11:41 PST

    Hi All,

    I have gone through the archives and searched the 'Net, but am unable to
    locate any further information with regards to these strange packets -
    perhaps you fine people could be of assistance. :-)

    1. I was called in to analyse a customer's network. They couldn't understand
    why network connections kept failing and machines dropped out the network.
    They eventually found that by removing the MS-Proxy server from the network,
    the problems were 'resolved'.

    2. They rebuilt the server using a different machine and clean media from
    original CDs. A day and a half later, the problem re-appeared - again
    corrected by unplugging the machine from the network.

    3. I analysed the machine, but found nothing obvious. I decided to sniff the
    TCP/IP traffic from the Proxy server and found:

    3.1 Intermittently, 5 UDP packets were sent with Source port of 770 and
    consecutive destination ports, with a directed-broadcast address as the
    destination.

    3.2 The starting destination port number would be different for each burst
    of packets. For example, first burst would have destination ports as
    follows: 63451, 63452, 63453, 63454, 63455;  the next burst would be 37201,
    37202, 37203, 37204, 37205.

    3.3 The payload was always 28 bytes.

    3.4 I noticed that the packets were always sent after a legitimate UDP
    packet had been sent by the host, and the destination address of these UDP
    packets was always that of the legitimate UDP packet. For example, if a
    BROWSER announcement was sent out to the directed-broadcast address, then
    the UDP:770 packets would be sent out (to the same broadcast address). [I
    later found that this pattern also applied when the destination was a
    specific IP address - the UDP:770 packets were also fired off at the
    specific IP address.]

    3.5 When the proxy is plugged on to the network, I noticed that it ARP'ed
    for it's own IP address, after which a barrage of packets hit the network.
    (I was sniffing a switched network, plugged in to a hub - so only saw local
    traffic and the broadcast traffic.) After a few minutes, machines started to
    drop off the network!

    3.6 I had baselined the network prior to plugging the proxy in and found no
    evidence of these strange UDP packets - they only started when the box was
    plugged in to the network.  Also, as soon as the box was unplugged, UDP
    activity appeared to cease - almost immediately!

    3.7 Some of the machines appeared to have a 'conversation' between
    themselves and the broadcast address.

    This is pretty much what I have so far.  (I don't think that it makes any
    difference - but you may like to know that the proxy server was acting as a
    caching proxy and sits behind a firewall.)

    I would appreciate any comments / suggestions, and useful insights.
    If you require any further information, let me know and I will see what I
    can do.

    Kind regards,

    Byrne Ghavalas