Re: Virus/trojan tunnel out from behind firewall?

From: Rich Puhek (rpuhekat_private)
Date: Sun Feb 24 2002 - 20:22:12 PST

    David Carmean wrote:

    > Greetings.  New to the list; have looked through a few months of
    > the archives and hadn't seen this come up:
    >
    > Have there been any cases of a trojan/virus/etc tunnelling out from
    > behind a firewall and thus providing an attacker a way into the
    > "chewy center"?

    Do you mean a trojan/virus that actively establishes a tunnel through
    SSH, etc to an outside machine as a method of bypassing a stateful
    firewall?

    Or do you just mean that a trojan/virus/etc has provided an opening
    despite the firewall?

    I'd also consider the gray areas in between, like worms/trojans that
    transfer into (passwds, etc) back through SMTP, HTTP, or IRC.

    --Rich

    Rich Puhek
    ETN Systems Inc.