Re: New Attack / New Vulnerability?

From: Mark Seiden (misat_private)
Date: Wed Feb 27 2002 - 11:36:49 PST

    stfw, luke.

    according to

    http://www.incidents.org/archives/intrusions/msg03024.html

    "This appears to be an IE 6 client on XP with Office XP installed. This
    configuration enables the discussion bar in IE.
    <http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/off2krk/html/70ct_10.asp>

    When the discussion bar is enabled and configured, the web client queries the
    server automatically to see if has SharePoint Team Services installed
    (owssvr.dll as ISAPI.)
    <http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/spsdk11/caml_schema/spxmlconrenderingcaml.asp>

    Matt Scarborough 2001-12-23"

    On Wed, Feb 27, 2002 at 11:11:00AM -0600, Sterling Moses wrote:
    > Is there a new vulnerability out?
    >
    > We monitor hundreds of financial IIS servers and have noticed many requests
    > for the following:
    >
    > GET /_vti_bin/owssvr.dll 404
    >
    > These requests originate from multiple IP addresses, and hit different
    > machines on
    > different networks.
    >
    > Based on the traffic and number of entries I can guess these are not
    > targeted attacks, but seem to be opportunistic
    > in nature.
    >
    > Any information would be helpful.
    >
    > Sterling.

    mark seiden, misat_private