RE: Suspect short first fragment?

From: Boyan Krosnov (bkrosnovat_private)
Date: Thu Feb 28 2002 - 12:29:34 PST

    Most probably it is not an attack but a scanning of your machine for
    services.

    In short technical:
    IPv4 uses a feature called fragmentation to permit networks with
    different MTUs (that's maximum packet size) to communicate with each
    other.
    The minimum really used MTU in the internet is about 550 bytes.
    If you ever see a first fragment of an IP packet that is less than say
    500 bytes it is probably someone trying to split the packets he sends
    into small peaces (fragments) so that your filtering software not notice
    the real destination of the packet itself. To be effective his/her
    attack they need to send a fragment of less than the size of the
    transport/session layer header, which in this case is (UDP header=) 8
    bytes, So they sent an IP packet fragmented into peaces so that the
    first peace carries only the first byte of the udp header, and your
    linux kernel noticed that it is not normal to receive a first fragment
    so short.

    Best Regards,
    Boyan Krosnov, CCIE #8701
    Senior Internetwork Engineer