Re: Solaris hack

From: Steve Huston (hustonat_private)
Date: Thu Feb 28 2002 - 13:29:04 PST

    On Mon, 25 Feb 2002, Christopher X. Candreva wrote:

    > On Fri, 22 Feb 2002, Matt K. wrote:
    >
    > > They most likely got in via dtspcd or ttdbserver.  Run strings on
    > > /usr/ucb/ps and see if you see 'sexygurl' near the end.  Also, check the
    > > dates on files such as /bin/ls.  The rookit doesn't seem to change the
    >
    > Specificly, u370 was the real login, and login was replaced.
    >
    > They replace the program that ID cpu types that will never be run.

    I just got one of these too; upon booting from CD and doing a little poking
    around, I found in /usr/lib/vold/nsdap the file 'defines', which contained the
    following:

    ======

    # Edit these
    # Dir to install rootkit in
    RKDIR="/usr/lib/vold/nsdap"
    # Your email address
    EMAIL="bert.smithat_private"
    # debug mode on or off
    DEBUG=0

    # file location settings

    BACKUP_LS="/usr/bin/mc68000"
    BACKUP_DU="/usr/bin/mc68010"
    BACKUP_PS="/usr/bin/mc68020"
    BACKUP_UCBPS="/usr/ucb/bin/ps"
    BACKUP_SU="/usr/bin/m68k"
    BACKUP_PASSWD="/usr/bin/sun2"
    BACKUP_FIND="/usr/bin/mc68030"
    BACKUP_NETSTAT="/usr/bin/mc68040"
    BACKUP_PING="/usr/bin/sun3"
    BACKUP_STRINGS="/usr/bin/sun3x"
    BACKUP_LSOF="/usr/bin/lso"
    BACKUP_LOGIN="/usr/bin/u370"

    ======

    --
    Steve Huston - System Administrator, Dept. of Astrophysical Sciences
     Princeton University  |     ICBM Address: 40.346525   -74.651285