Re: Update: UDP 770 Potential Worm

From: H C (keydet89at_private)
Date: Fri Mar 01 2002 - 20:21:12 PST

    Byrne,

    Your post interested me greatly, and if you don't mind
    I'd like to ask a couple of questions that are inline
    to your quoted post below:

    > I still believe that the packets may be the result
    > of some kind of
    > worm / trojan, with the goal of knocking machines
    > off the network.

    Other than the fact that systems were falling off of
    the network immediately after the 'attack', what other
    evidence have you collected to support this?  A worm
    replicates itself...none of the traffic you described
    supports this.  I'm wonder what I've missed in your
    analysis...any elaboration would be appreciated.

    > My analysis revealed that the final destination of
    > these strange packets
    > was UDP 138, however I was not fortunate enough to
    > sniff any of
    > these packets and so am not sure of the payload of
    > these final packets.

    You'll have to forgive me, but this makes little sense
    to me.  Perhaps it's some gaps in my understanding of
    IP, but how can you know that a UDP datagram is
    destined to port if you haven't sniffed it somehow?

    Are you meaning to state here that the source address
    of the UDP datagrams is the IP address of the proxy?
    If so, what does the output of 'netstat -a' tell you?
    Since it's an MS machine, what does fport.exe or
    TDIMon tell you about the process that is utilizing
    the source port?

    I apologize if the above question regarding the source
    IP address seems stupid, but for all of the
    specificity in your post, the one thing that you never
    specifically stated was that bit of info.  I simply
    wanted to be clear on it.

    > 3.5 When the proxy is plugged on to the network, I
    > noticed that
    > it ARP'ed for it's own IP address, after which a
    > barrage of packets
    > hit the network. (I was sniffing a switched network,
    > plugged in to
    > hub - so only saw local traffic and the broadcast
    > traffic.)

    What tool were you using to sniff?

    > After a few
    > minutes, machines started to drop off the network!

    What does 'drop off the network' mean?  Were any
    errors noted on the systems themselves?  Did the
    systems respond to pings?

    > 3.7 Some of the machines appeared to have a
    > 'conversation'
    > between themselves and the broadcast address.

    What does this mean?  What ports were involved?  What
    can you tell us about the contents of the packets?
    Was this normal NetBIOS traffic?

    > I would appreciate any comments / suggestions, and
    > useful
    > insights. If you require any further information,
    > let me know and I will see what I can do.

    From what you've posted, I would say that there is
    quite a bit that that hasn't been done.  Running a
    port-to-process mapping tool on the proxy (assuming
    that the proxy is the source of the UDP traffic) would
    have been something done almost immediately.  After
    all, if something is using port 770, one should be
    able to find it.

    You stated that the proxy was rebuilt from clean
    media, on fresh equipment.  What steps were taken to
    secure the box?  Was any data loaded from backup?  Was
    any monitoring of the box done after the new one was
    powered on?  In order to support the theory of a worm
    or trojan, the new box would have to have had been
    subjected to tainted media, or it was immediately
    broken into again up being powered up.

    Have any searches of the MS site, particularly TechNet
    been conducted?  According to several documents there,
    UDP port 770 is the source port for something called
    'cadlock'.