Re: nouser - rootkit ?

From: Konrad Rieck (krat_private)
Date: Mon Mar 11 2002 - 14:59:59 PST

    On Mon, Mar 11, 2002 at 05:57:38PM +0000, Eric Brandwine wrote:
    > Either it's a red herring, and the real root kit is much better
    > hidden, or it'll be almost trivial to clean up.  But you've no way of
    > knowing.  I'd rebuild the box from scratch, if it were mine.

    I am just curious about the "red herring"-part of the story and the
    term "real rootkit"...

    I wonder if there are really attackers out there installing bogus-rootkits
    in order to protect the real ones. Has anybody on this list detected such
    kind of "feints"?

    In my opinion this behaviour is very unlikely, but I am willing to learn.

    Regards,
    Konrad

    --
    Konrad Rieck <krat_private> -------------- http://www.inf.fu-berlin.de/~rieck