Re: nouser - rootkit ?

From: Bruce Ediger (eballen1at_private)
Date: Mon Mar 11 2002 - 19:26:00 PST

    On Mon, 11 Mar 2002, Konrad Rieck wrote:

    > I wonder if there are really attackers out there installing bogus-rootkits
    > in order to protect the real ones. Has anybody on this list detected such
    > kind of "feints"?

    I posted to usenet last year with the same question, because one
    of the machines I tend got rooted.

    In response, some guy claimed he found a rootkit that had at least
    two layers:

    http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&selm=9h6gsa%2414r%241%40bob.news.rcn.net

    I'm not at all sure I believe this story: IRIX is pretty obscure,
    and not very widely used.  Why would anyone go to the effort of
    doing a "feint" rootkit to mask a "real" rootkit for so few targets?