Re: nouser - rootkit ?

From: Kyle R Maxwell (kylemaxwellat_private)
Date: Tue Mar 12 2002 - 11:08:06 PST

    Obscure though it may be, a rootkit might have been written for IRIX
    either due to intentional targeting of a particular organization, or
    with the realization that IRIX deployments are typically fairly
    powerful installations, not your run-of-the-mill ISP (this includes
    folks like NASA, etc.) There have even been a few major websites that
    ran on IRIX for a good amount of time.

    So an IRIX rootkit, while not near as common as one for, say, Solaris
    or Linux, might still be useful to a lot of folks.

    http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&selm=9h6gsa%2414r%241%40bob.news.rcn.net

    > I'm not at all sure I believe this story: IRIX is pretty obscure,
    > and not very widely used.  Why would anyone go to the effort of
    > doing a "feint" rootkit to mask a "real" rootkit for so few targets?

    =====
    Kyle Maxwell       [kylemaxwellat_private]
    http://Xwell.org      Infosec, Unix, maths
    "That that is is that that is not is not."