Re: nouser - rootkit ?

From: Eric Brandwine (ericbat_private)
Date: Tue Mar 12 2002 - 08:32:51 PST

    be> On Mon, 11 Mar 2002, Konrad Rieck wrote:
    >> I wonder if there are really attackers out there installing bogus-rootkits
    >> in order to protect the real ones. Has anybody on this list detected such
    >> kind of "feints"?

    be> I posted to usenet last year with the same question, because one
    be> of the machines I tend got rooted.

    be> In response, some guy claimed he found a rootkit that had at least
    be> two layers:

    be> http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&selm=9h6gsa%2414r%241%40bob.news.rcn.net

    be> I'm not at all sure I believe this story: IRIX is pretty obscure,
    be> and not very widely used.  Why would anyone go to the effort of
    be> doing a "feint" rootkit to mask a "real" rootkit for so few targets?

    Odd OSes are used by security nuts for just that reason.  Banks and
    similar often run HP/UX, IRIX, or even odder beasts.  I run PPC Linux
    on my Mac, and it's fun watching folks try to break in.  Often,
    sploits will crash daemons (a buffer overflow is a buffer overflow),
    but the shell code rarely works on both x86 and PPC.

    Reading that post, it looks like his system was compromised multiple
    times, by different people, which is a not uncommon occurence.

    ericb
    --
    Eric Brandwine     |  Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon
    UUNetwork Security |  full of tapes hurtling down the highway.