Re: nouser - rootkit ? [:multiple root kit thread:]

From: Dan Rohan (danat_private)
Date: Tue Mar 12 2002 - 09:26:59 PST

    I can verify that this practice is in place-  Just last week I investigated a
    break-in
    with multiple instances of  rootkits on a single linux system-  the system was
    both
    rootkited with the 'adore' kernel module and with a more standard binary type
    rootkit.  I can only draw a conclusion that the hacker was knowingly installing
    two different rootkits because I found one of the hidden directories where both
    the adore kit AND the binaries were located.

    What doesn't make sense in a case like this is what the hacker is trying to
    accomplish-

    I tend to think that most security minded folks would never discover a root kit
    and then
    'clean up' without re-installing.  It is my personal opinion that that is
    horribly bad practice.

    Dan