RE: Keylogger Needed Quick!

From: Tom Kapanka (tomat_private)
Date: Thu Mar 14 2002 - 15:06:54 PST

    Hey thanks everyone for the files and suggestions...we quickly learned that
    a trojaned ssh had been capturing pws...booo.  So, we found the sk 'sucKit'
    rootkit installed, used it's own uninstall routines to remove it.
    Unfortunately s/he was in for a bit of time before we caught on so the logs
    had rotated away :( not much to traceback through.  Our question is, what
    was the point of entry?  The destination was /tmp, of course.

    No PHP/MySQL installed
    Possible Insecure/Expolited CGI
    Possible internal
    Possible sniffed/guessed/bruteforced pop3/ftp pwd = ssh pwd
    Possible incidental pwd capture from one of our users ssh-ing to us from a
    compromised server.

    Lesson learned:

    Despite the enormous volumes of information regarding the security status of
    your boxen that pass before your eyes, and no matter how much you distill it
    before it reaches you, you will still miss important things because there's
    just So Much.

    I never did install the keylogger, we figured it out and shut it down.

    Thank you all and goodnight.