RE: DoS, possibly spoofed IP Addresses

From: Snow, Corey (CSNOWat_private)
Date: Wed Apr 03 2002 - 10:39:34 PST

    Steve Gibson's position on a number of issues, most notably the XP/raw
    sockets issue, is not one that is shared by a majority (vast majority) of
    security professionals.

    Steve Gibson's research on the use of raw sockets is, to say the least,
    flawed (IMO). Also, Mr. Gibson engages in no small amount of FUD in his
    site, which is less informative than it is inflammatory, again IMO.

    I would *highly* recommend a search of the archives of this list, Bugtraq,
    and the security-basics list for more information on Steve Gibson and
    GRC.com before you take anything he says on his website at http://grc.com as
    being useful and/or valuable.

    I am not attacking Steve Gibson personally here; in my opinion he's probably
    a nice guy. But his actions have done more to harm information security than
    improve it. As the site grcsucks.com says, Mr. Gibson is not a scam(er), but
    his motivations are worth questioning, as are his methods.

    Also, see some of these URLs for counters to Steve Gibson's statements on a
    number of issues:

    http://grcsucks.com
    http://staff.washington.edu/dittrich/misc/ddos/grc-reply.txt

    I don't speak for my employer.

    Corey Snow

    The information contained in this e-mail and subsequent attachments may be privileged,
    confidential and protected from disclosure.  This transmission is intended for the sole
    use of the individual and entity to whom it is addressed.  If you are not the intended
    recipient, any dissemination, distribution or copying is strictly prohibited.  If you
    think that you have received this message in error, please e-mail the sender at the above
    e-mail address.