Re: IGMP DOS Attack

From: Kurt Seifried (bugtraqat_private)
Date: Thu Apr 11 2002 - 10:33:57 PDT

    I do not know about this attack in particular however I do know the majority
    of firewalls allow IGMP traffic through (along with about 100 other IP
    protocols....). Unless a firewall has default policy of deny or the admin
    has specifically blocked IP packet types of say DCN, HMP, PRM chances are
    they will go through. Of course the trick is to find protocols well
    supported by end systems, such as IGMP.

    My immediate though about this incident is to look at if the networks
    attacking you support IGMP broadcast packets (now that everyone blocks ICMP
    broadcast packets... well most people anyways..).

    Kurt Seifried, kurtat_private
    A15B BEE5 B391 B9AD B0EF
    AEB0 AD63 0B4E AD56 E574
    http://seifried.org/security/