IGMP DOS Attack

From: D.Stoutat_private
Date: Thu Apr 11 2002 - 03:45:24 PDT

      After installing a Snort IDS system on a network link I am responsible
    for , I left it running over night to see how many alerts would be
    generated.
    When I returned in the morning I found 450,000 alerts from snort detailing
    a IGMP DoS attack from 6 different source hosts. I cannot find any
    information about this DoS attack (DDoS if you consider 6 hosts at same
    time).

      Has anybody else had an IGMP DoS attack starting at 5:23 CET ?
      Does anybody know what causes this ?
      What are the implications of this (other than pure bandwidth
    consumption)

      I will continue to search for info, but please help me if you know what
    this is.

    Dave Stout
    Internet Security Engineer

    #**********************************************************************
    This message is intended solely for the use of the individual
    or organisation to whom it is addressed. It may contain
    privileged or confidential information.  If you have received
    this message in error, please notify the originator immediately.
    If you are not the intended recipient, you should not use,
    copy, alter, or disclose the contents of this message.  All
    information or opinions expressed in this message and/or
    any attachments are those of the author and are not
    necessarily those of Hughes Network Systems Limited,
    including its European subsidiaries and affiliates. Hughes
    Network Systems Limited, including its European
    subsidiaries and affiliates accepts no responsibility for loss
    or damage arising from its use, including damage from virus.