Re: IGMP DOS Attack

From: Christopher L. Morrow (chrisat_private)
Date: Thu Apr 11 2002 - 15:35:30 PDT

    > On Thu, 11 Apr 2002 15:00:00 EDT, "Headley, Kevin" <kevin.headleyat_private>  said:
    >
    > > Since IGMP is multicast group membership and wouldn't pass a router unless
    > > specifically configured to do so (in many cases at least)...I have seen
    > > occasions where either the local machine is sending packets or a few other
    > > machines on that segment are joinging the group, responding...

    Hmm, I'm not sure about this particular attack, BUT we've seen LOTS of
    attacks where someone simply set the protocol field to igmp's number and
    flooded packets to the destination they wanted to attack (like
    www.yourfavoriteattackedhost.com)

    Basically the attack just takes a slight bit longer to diagnose because
    its not 'common' (tcp or udp or icmp)... no better, no worse in the long
    run though.