Re: compromised cisco

From: jlewisat_private
Date: Thu Apr 25 2002 - 09:25:53 PDT

    On Thu, 25 Apr 2002, Thomas Springer wrote:

    > Obviously, one of our external cisco-devices with default-password set was
    > compromised:
    >
    > Anybody knows a script/scanner doing this stuff?
    > I know tools like CScan, but none of them changes password and logon-message.
    > And anybody has a clue about the password?? (it was, yeah, 'cisco' - but
    > the hacker changed it...)

    I didn't think there were 'default passwords' on most Cisco gear.  Someone
    is running a scanner testing routers for easy passwords, and when they get
    in, they lock you out?  That's definitely not nice.  Perhaps you have
    syslog enabled and at least know where the access came from?

    You're probably going to need console access so you can do 'password
    recovery'.  If you search for 'password recovery' at cio.cisco.com, you'll
    find instructions for breaking back into just about everything Cisco
    makes.

     Jon Lewis *jlewisat_private*|  I route
     Atlantic Net                |