FTP Followup

From: Gregory Kane (gregory.kaneat_private)
Date: Fri Apr 26 2002 - 05:41:43 PDT

    I'd like to thank everyone that responded to my post on the increased ftp
    traffic. The follow-up is, is that my box that was receiving the scans was
    taken out yesterday morning. Gone, fried, whatever - unrecoverable. I had
    some very massive attacks on the box which was the (Extranet)web server. The
    box was froze - totally unresponsive. After reboot, the system would not
    come up even with using the emergency boot disk. Attempted to rerun an
    upgrade of the system and got an error that it could not find the drive -
    that's a liberal interpretation of the message. So, those ftp scans, probes,
    or whatever, were a precursor to an attack coming from 4 different ip's, one
    right after the other.

    Thanks to all and I guess we are all indeed sheep in a valley of wolves.

    Greg Kane