A friend's cable modem Linux machine just got compromised

From: Sam Trenholme (abiword_bugsat_private)
Date: Wed May 01 2002 - 01:18:57 PDT

    Hello there,

    A friend's cable modem linux machine was very recently
    compromised; the attackers obtained root access on the
    machine and modified certain system binaries in an
    attempt to hide their tracks.

    Anyway, it looked liked the were hiding a program
    called 'xntps'.  In addition, they had a modified
    md5sum which would generate bogus sums for the
    trojaned system files.

    I did not have an oppertunity to perform a full
    post-mortem system audit--the person is 300 miles away
    and my first priority was to get him to get off the
    'net and reinstalling his system.  However, I was able
    to download the trojaned 'md5sum' and 'xntps' files.

    While studying Linux binaries without source is beyond
    my feeble abilities, I have determined that the
    modified md5sum binary attempts to read the file
    /dev/srd0 and write to the file /tmp/behsdf; I suspect
    the "bugus" sums are in /dev/srd0.

    The system was a default rh7.1 install; I suspect that
    they got in via the wu-ftpd globbing exploit.

    Friends don't let friends run wu-ftpd.

    - Sam