RE: Windows Systems Defaced

From: H C (keydet89at_private)
Date: Fri May 03 2002 - 05:28:29 PDT

    > The above commands were directed to systems that
    > were listening on
    > port 1433/tcp and accessible from the outside.

    The commands in question are attempts to execute
    stored procedures in MS SQL.

    > At this time, I am not completely clear on how to
    > protect from this attack.

    1.  Block port 1433 at the router/firewall.
    2.  Use a strong 'sa' password.
    3.  Remove or restrict access to the stored procedure.

    > but does anyone on this list know if
    > this is a safe and effective solution?

    It most definitely is.  We have a particular
    architecture, w/ SQL, and we've done what you've
    described, and have had no problems whatsoever.