RE: info

From: Loki (lokiat_private)
Date: Fri May 03 2002 - 15:41:17 PDT

    Get an 'lsof' listing of processes and what programs are bound to
    those ports/processes. See if any trojans have been installed on the
    box.

    Do a locate on lsof or download the tar from freshmeat.net if you
    cant find it. I use OpenBSD so don't know where your distro might
    keep it.

    One other thing you might want to do is use the find command to find
    any 'dot' directories.
    % find . -type d -name ".*" -print

    I'd also see what versions of SSHD, etc were running to figure out
    how the attacker might have broken in. Check SSH for the CRC/32
    vulnerability. I would also see if he left telnetd running or any RPC
    services. Also, might want to let your friend know not to keep
    tripwire databases on the same machine. They should be put on a
    protected floppy or cdrom.

    // Loki

    Eric S. Hines
    Chief Technical Officer