netbuie.exe, scorpionsearch.com and fastcounter.bcentral.com

From: Edwards, David (JTS) (Edwards.Daveat_private)
Date: Mon May 06 2002 - 17:40:06 PDT

    Hi,

    We've just found some instances of "netbuie.exe" running in some terminal
    server sessions here.  The file was written to the Winnt\system32 directory
    about 6:00pm on Sunday and registry entries made in:

    HKLM/Software\Microsoft\windows\current version\run
    HKLM/Software\Microsoft\windows\run

    It seems to be a Vb 5 PE that hits on two web sites, scorpionsearch.com and
    fastcounter.bcentral.com when run.  Possibly just generating revenue for
    some bod somewhere.

    Looks like the server wasn't fully patched, hfnetchk showed 6 Win2k Server
    patches missing and 2 IE6.

    This sounded familiar (when I first saw it) but I haven't been able to find
    any other references so I thought I'd make one :-)   The worry is (of
    course) that the server is further compromised.  Anyone seen this before?

    ciao
    dave
    ---
    Dave Edwards