Re: Got 'em. (was "Re: gw.ocg-corp.com")

From: Hugo van der Kooij (hvdkooijat_private)
Date: Mon May 13 2002 - 15:57:47 PDT

    On Mon, 13 May 2002, Jay D. Dyson wrote:

    > --[PinePGP]--------------------------------------------------[begin]--
    > On Mon, 13 May 2002, Chip McClure wrote:
    >
    > > I don't have any luck finding out any info on ocg-corp.com either. :(
    > > I've got a few of the hits in my webserver logs, the same as you. My
    > > guess, someone's spoofing the reverse dns on it. Kinda sounds like
    > > someone is doing some very hard spidering on your site.
    >
    > 	My experiment paid off.  I figured the spider would goof at some
    > point and cough up the IP address and I was happy to find this was true.

    hostresolving in apache is not recommended (understatement!!).

    > 	From there, it was all over but the shouting...
    >
    > $ nslookup 209.126.176.3
    > Server:  localhost
    > Address:  127.0.0.1
    >
    > Name:    gw.ocg-corp.com
    > Address:  209.126.176.3
    >
    > 	And there we have the culprit.  Who wants to throw the clue mallet
    > at 'em?  ;)

    I have send a full log to the owner of the IP range according to the
    available WHOIS information. I suggest you do so as well if you are
    annoyed by this conduct.

    Hugo.

    --
    All email send to me is bound to the rules described on my homepage.
        hvdkooijat_private		http://hvdkooij.xs4all.nl/