RE: exploited win2k box, not quite sure how:

From: McCammon, Keith (Keith.McCammonat_private)
Date: Mon May 20 2002 - 11:39:24 PDT

    Well, I'm going to be the first (and surely not the last) to tell you that this is not "a weird one."  We can't offer much advice, as you haven't provided any logs, but you obviously have (or had) a spotty IIS install, as you've likely been hit by CodeRed, Nimda, or the like.  As far as the tagged directories are concerned, that's likely due to a mis-configured FTP server (also under the blanket of IIS).

    You can find information on fixing and patching both of these problems on http://microsoft.com/security.

    Cheers

    Keith