RE: Worms and CScript/WScript

From: Richard H. Cotterell (seecat_private)
Date: Sun May 26 2002 - 07:57:20 PDT

    Ref: Nick FitzGerald <nick@virus-l.demon.co.uk>'s
         message dated 22 May 2002, 17:04 hours.

    [snipped]

    >In the corporate arena you often can get away without either of these
    >"advanced" scripting mechanisms, but Windows Update -- which is
    >rather critical to SOHO users having any chance of staying vaguely
    >up-to-date with security patches -- used to and presumably still does
    >depend on WSH (I think VBS specifically).  Thus, suggesting disabling
    >it as a blanket recommendation may not be a wise thing...  (And, even
    >in the corporate arena, you may better off restricting access to it
    >rather than removing it -- if your admin group uses VB scripts for
    >advanced system admin, certainly let them continue to run it so long
    >as scripts can be run under a suitably privileged security context
    >without introducing other unwanted problems but lock down your
    >ordinary users' access to the EXEs.)

    An alternative approach would be to use *script defender* from AnalogX,
    which allows a Windows user to turn on/off the whole set of scripts that
    make for vulnerable web site visiting. :-)

    <http://www.analogx.com>

    Some other interesting software there too, BTW, all freeeware!

    --
    Richard H. Cotterell  <mailto:seecat_private>

    Don't take the wrong side of an argument just because your opponent
    has taken the right side.
      -Baltasar Gracian, Spanish philosopher and writer