RE: Worms and CScript/WScript

From: Nick FitzGerald (nick@virus-l.demon.co.uk)
Date: Tue May 21 2002 - 22:04:30 PDT

    mwrightat_private wrote:

    > The NSA guide, titled: "E-mail Security in the Wake of Recent Malicious Code
    > Incidents" actually recommends disabling Windows Scripting Host by removing
    > both cscript.exe and wscript.exe.

    And that makes it "correct" or "a good idea"?

    > I have added that to my logon script so that every time a user logs onto one
    > of my networks, WSH is disabled.  Add that to a managed anti-virus solution
    > that filters attachments by extension, and does real-time protection of both
    > servers and workstations and you have a very effective virus/worm/trojan
    > defense.

    In the corporate arena you often can get away without either of these
    "advanced" scripting mechanisms, but Windows Update -- which is
    rather critical to SOHO users having any chance of staying vaguely
    up-to-date with security patches -- used to and presumably still does
    depend on WSH (I think VBS specifically).  Thus, suggesting disabling
    it as a blanket recommendation may not be a wise thing...  (And, even
    in the corporate arena, you may better off restricting access to it
    rather than removing it -- if your admin group uses VB scripts for
    advanced system admin, certainly let them continue to run it so long
    as scripts can be run under a suitably privileged security context
    without introducing other unwanted problems but lock down your
    ordinary users' access to the EXEs.)

    > You can download the afore mentioned NSA guide directly here:
    > http://nsa2.www.conxion.com/emailexec/guides/eec-1.pdf

    I won't comment further on this (and probably nor here but on the
    focus-virus list if I ever do) until I've read it...

    > or browse through all the NSA guides at http://www.nsa.gov

    Let's see -- the NSA gives out security advice from a site that
    _requires_ browser scripting to be enabled?

    Hmmmm -- do you think we may be able to make an informed estimate of
    the likely quality and thoroughness of that advice from just this one
    data point??

    --
    Nick FitzGerald
    Computer Virus Consulting Ltd.