RE: strange account in Win2k

From: Kit (kitat_private)
Date: Tue May 28 2002 - 15:08:16 PDT

    Basically, every domain upon creation has a unique SID.  Every account and
    group within that domain has its own unique RID.  You get an individual
    account's SID by combining the domain SID with the account's RID.
    Therefore, if you create a completely new domain (even with the same name,
    ip, etc) every account will have a new SID because the domain has a
    different SID.

    This causes a problem because many permissions in NT/2000 are associated
    with the account SID rather than its textual name.  The good thing about
    this is it allows you to change the name of the account without having to go
    back and redo all the permissions.

    Having unique SID's is also one of the main reasons to have mutliple DC's.
    That way, in case one goes down, all the unique information is retained.

    There's also a MSKB which points out the default accounts:
    	http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q163846

    -K