RE: Port 445 increase? [UPDATE]

From: Mike Hrubes (MHrubesat_private)
Date: Tue Jun 04 2002 - 10:20:35 PDT

    Thanks for the replies from everyone.  The scan/attack has stopped as of yesterday evening.  I guess what I found interesting was the pattern it followed.  To me, it almost looked like a DOS because of the source IPs and the format it followed.  I discarded the idea of a scan as it wasn't done smartly.  I had mulitple hits from the same IPs throughout the day, all aimed at a single IP on our network...which happens to be our incoming address for our exchange server.

    For anyone that was interested in this, I'll throw up a bit of my logs (IP's are faked below...when I did lookups on the IPs, it appeared the attacking address were probably compromised machines).  I didn't ever get a packet capture while the attack happend, so I won't be able to see exactly what they were trying to do (malformed packets, etc...).

    Entire scan/attack lasted from 6:22am until 6:15pm CST on Jun 3.  Recieved a block of requests (icmp, 445, nbname) about 4-5 times a minute.  Probably 20 different addresses total.

    Dest. Port -> Source Addy -> Dest Addy -> Protocol -> Source Port

    		65.1.1.1		209.9.9.9	icmp
    445		65.1.1.1		209.9.9.9	tcp		1111
    nbname	65.1.1.1		209.9.9.9	udp		nbname

    		67.1.1.1		209.9.9.9	icmp