Strange web vulnerability scanner

From: Joao Gouveia (jgouveiaat_private)
Date: Wed Jun 19 2002 - 21:27:28 PDT

    Hello list,

    I've got today a series of alerts logged on my IDS regarding multiple
    known web servers/applications vulnerabilities.
    On a normal situation, I would find that "normal", since it happens on a
    regular basis.
    The strange thing of this scan, with fixed source I.P., was that, by
    analizing packet payload, I noticed that the User-Agent host header user
    contained diferent (very diferent ) values for each request. And I do
    mean a diferent user-agent for each one.
    The first thing that came to mind was that it might just be gateway or
    some kind of proxy forwarding the requests. But I would find that rather
    dificult because mainly because of two facts:
    A - Source port allways increments by one.
    B - All requests (96) where made on an interval window of 7 seconds.

    My question is simple and related only with curiosity. Does anyone here
    knows of a tool that acts like this?

    For the curious, the user-agent's sent where all variations of:
    Mozilla/3.01
    Mozilla/4.0
    Mozilla/4.6
    Mozilla/4.7