Re: backdoor

From: Ken Fischer (kenfat_private)
Date: Mon Jun 24 2002 - 07:51:27 PDT

    On Sun, 23 Jun 2002, steveg wrote:

    > I am not a Sun expert by any means but this doesn't look like a compromise
    > to me ..
    >
    > > 1. %nmap foo
    > > 898/tcp    open        unknown
    >
    > Standard port for the SUN Management Console server.

    Indeed.  Point your web browser at: http://server.name:898
    to confirm this.

    > > Ok, What's happening?, I am very confused, the inode
    > > number fsol show points to a direcroty and a character
    > > device. How can i stop
    > >  that listening binary?
    >
    > this is a service that should be started by smcboot check your /etc/rc#.d/
    > directory (which ever runlvl you are in).
    >
    > of course if this is not a sun box then this is a little odd indeed...
    > again not an expert with sun but this looks like a normal sun service.

    If you want to remove the packages associated with this, they can be
    found with the command: pkginfo | grep 'Management Console'

    The run control script on a default Solaris install is named init.wbem
    (It starts in runlevel2 with the linked script: /etc/rc2.d/S90wbem)
    if you just want to turn off the service.

    --
    Ken Fischer, CCNA  <kenfat_private>
    PGP Fingerprint: 9523 54B6 D67B BBFB 53B3  2F3B 7E81 0891 C495 CB50