Re: backdoor

From: Hugo van der Kooij (hvdkooijat_private)
Date: Mon Jun 24 2002 - 22:22:54 PDT

    On Mon, 24 Jun 2002, Jonas M Luster wrote:

    > Quoting Don Weber (Donat_private):
    >
    > > a compromised machine, CAN and is usually designed to compromise or be used
    > > to compromised other machines. leaving YOUR machine active and on the
    > > internet, is allowing your system to attempt to compromise MY system, you
    > > call that over-reacting professional, i call it being considerate. A house
    >
    > To simply destroy all evidence is not considerate. It is a great
    > dis-service to all those machines that have been compromised through
    > the compromised system. Such a machine usually carries enough
    > information to determine the machines that have been attacked from the
    > system and reveals an awful lot about the intruder.
    >
    > That is why I stress the need to prohibit malicious activities on
    > router or switch level as soon as the incident is discovered, that is
    > doing the right things in access-lists and blocks to make sure the
    > system will still function but can not be used against third parties
    > anymore.

    This all assumes you have the luxery of time, money and skills to dig into
    the incident.

    Your average customer does not have the luxery of time and is not willing
    to spend the money on the required skills. They want an operational system
    again and without the backdoors, etc.

    So while the concept is nice if you are in an academic environment is is
    unfeasable in the real corporate world.

    The most they want you to pay for is put in another system as fast as you
    can without the gaps theat were open last time. (They propably will still
    not care to stop ALL possible gaps.)

    So hence the S.O.P. that will be used most of the times as it is the most
    cost effective way in the short run.

    If you are skilled enough and are allowed time to go beyond that. Then
    there is no need for a S.O.P. as you will have to handle each case
    individually.

    Hugo.

    --
    All email send to me is bound to the rules described on my homepage.
        hvdkooijat_private		http://hvdkooij.xs4all.nl/