RE: Can anyone identify this backdoor?

From: Richard Bartlett (richardat_private)
Date: Thu Jul 11 2002 - 15:33:09 PDT

    Matt,

    I've done a quick analysis on this and come up with the following;

    (1) cc.exe is a self extracting executable which will write the following
    files;
     C:\info.bat (uses info.exe to write to a.htm)
     C:\info.exe (writes system information including volume sizes, free space
    etc.)
     C:\lol.bat  (runs iissrvs.exe, tries to delete the startup log and runs
    info.bat)
     C:\recycler\CMD.EXE (possibley geniune cmd.exe from a version of NT/2K/XP,
    source unknown)
     C:\recycler\hk.exe (detected by Sophos AV 3.59 as 'Troj/Hk', demonstration
    exploit for 'Spoofed LPC Port Request', see
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/security/
    bulletin/ms00-003.asp for ms article, and
    http://www.nmrc.org/files/nt/hk-0.1.zip for a download of the exploit and
    the source code.
     C:\recycler\iis.dll (file used by iissrvs.exe, Serv-U FTP Server v3.0)
     C:\recycler\iisl.dll (file used by iissrvs.exe, Serv-U FTP Server v3.0)
     C:\recycler\iissrvs.exe (renamed Serv-U FTP Server v3.0)
     C:\recycler\JAsfv.dll (used by Jasfv.exe)
     C:\recycler\JAsfv.exe ("Just Another SFV Checker", uses CRC-32 technology
    to check each file and notifies you of any potentially bad, corrupt,
    incorrect size or missing files).
     C:\recycler\JAsfv.ini (used by Jasfv.exe)
     C:\recycler\Localstart.cnf (config file used to start iissrvs.exe)
     C:\recycler\nc.exe (netcat for nt)
     C:\recycler\pskill.exe (process kill)
     C:\recycler\tlist.exe (process list)
    (2) after extraction it runs lol.bat which runs the ftp server, bound to
    port 1664 (see LocalStart.cnf).  There are two users, Axx and Juliana,
    defined on the FTP server.
    (3) there appears to be no attempt to write to the registry to allow the ftp
    server to restart when the server is rebooted, the only places cc.exe writes
    to in the registry is HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Cryptography\RNG\Seed, not
    sure why.

    I would guess that this compromise was probably for warez kiddies who wanted
    to dump cracked software/mp3 etc on your server.  The a.htm file indicates
    that volume size and free space is a priority, so that's my reasoning.

    Hope this helps, get the server patched, delete the files listed above and
    watch out for new exploits!

    Richard Bartlett
    Hacker Immunity Ltd