Re: Anyone know this rootkit (rootkits?) (details and files attached)

From: Steve Bougerolle (steveb@creek-and-cowley.com)
Date: Fri Jul 26 2002 - 10:05:35 PDT

    Ok I went in to clean this up today and managed to save some files.  The
    extent of one rootkit is pretty clear but there are still some leftover
    files that I don't know about. I rebuilt the whole server, not trusting
    the old system at all.  Interestingly, even though I didn't touch the
    original (corrupted) partition, when I mounted it from the new system to
    extract a couple of the rootkit dirs, some files had disappeared.  The
    entire directory /dev/\ \ \  was gone.  I'm not sure if this is because
    I remounted it with nodev, nosuid and noexec (seems unlikely) or if this
    is explained by some mysterious hanging it used to engage in when shut
    down the "usual" way (ie, it was cleaning up after itself every time it
    shut down).

    That particular rootkit seems to have been saved (in original form) in
    /tmp as cashu.tgz, as near as I can tell, so I've re-compressed &
    attached that.  It set up compromised versions of ps, ls, netstat, lpd,
    ifconfig, find, top, lsof, slocate, dir, md5sump pstree, sshd, ftpd  and
    ipop3d, doing some clever stuff with checksums and what not (which makes
    me wonder if the gross ease of finding these files means there's another
    hidden part somewhere that I never did find).

    It created a fake library called /lib/lidps1.so and installed a
    subverted libproc.so as well.  It also created a user tty1, whose home
    directory contains another rootkit that points to a directory /dev/.id.
    The executables mentioned there seem to reappear in another directory
    /dev/.so

    All that is pretty clear.  However, there are still a few other
    suspicious files around, and if they're connected I haven't found the
    connection yet.  /etc/passwd had some more mysterious users added from
    somewhere - cgi, r00t, cisco and liloboot (the root userid was weirdly
    corrupted as well) - I've attached the suspicious parts of this file. In
    /usr/sbin there are a couple binaries which had been set immutable:
    pidof and xntp3.  Hooks for the latter had been added twice to the end
    of rc.sysinit, sandwiching the sshd hook.

    This server was sitting behind a firewall, and supposedly all ports were
    blocked except for http, which is routed to it via NAT.  Thus, unless
    our local ISP is lying (which is quite possible) I'm guessing it came by
    an Apache exploit.

    Can anyone ID it?  I've searched for the most obvious text strings
    already and not turned up anything which rang a bell.

    Files:

    http://www.creek-and-cowley.com/cashu.tar.bz2
    http://www.creek-and-cowley.com/suspicious_files.tar.bz2

    --