Anyone know this rootkit (rootkits?)

From: Steve Bougerolle (steveb@creek-and-cowley.com)
Date: Thu Jul 25 2002 - 08:26:27 PDT

    I was trying to fix up a crashed Red Hat linux 7.2 server for a client today, and
    after a bit of fiddling discovered what looks pretty clearly like a
    rootkit.  It had files stored in /dev/\ \ \ , modified a bunch of
    binaries including su, netstat, ls, ps, and ifconfig, and installed some
    sort of sshd trojan in a whole bunch of places.  Sound familiar to
    anyone?  (ie, who knows where I can learn more about it?)

    While cleaning up the mess with that, things still weren't working so I
    looked farther and discovered ANOTHER bunch of covert directories,
    called /dev/.id, /dev/.sh and /dev/.so (IIRC).  These were linked to an
    entry in the rc.local boot script which powered up something in /dev/.id
    (didn't have time to note the details yet, sorry).

    Anyone hear of these?  Is this one rootkit or more than one?

    --
    Steve Bougerolle
    Creek & Cowley Consulting

    http://www.creek-and-cowley.com