RE: Scanning Port UDP 4668

From: Ken Grossman (kgrossmanat_private)
Date: Tue Aug 06 2002 - 08:30:55 PDT

    I wish to thank every one who provided information and suggested steps to
    me.  As I stated in the original e-mail message, I was interested in
    finding out what the systems were looking for since the scans were being
    stopped at the perimeter.  The organization that originally brought the
    information to my attention believes the following is the source of these
    scans.

    There's a P2P utility called EDonkey that uses UDP 466x and allows any
    edonkey user to publish an IP and port of a peer.  Apparently, someone
    mistyped an IP address; hence the scans.

    Again thanks to everyone for their assistance.

    Ken Grossman, CISSP
    kgrossmanat_private
    (202) 401-7142