Strange pings from akamai?

From: Jeff Kell (jeff-kellat_private)
Date: Wed Aug 07 2002 - 20:33:49 PDT

    Out of the wild blue, I logged some unexpected pings:

    209.92.223.82:0(209-92-223-82.deploy.akamaitechnologies.com) ICMP Ping

    Now I know they do lots of click-thru and banner ads, but is Akamai now
    starting to keep tabs on our online time?  or something more sinister?

    This was logged on my home computer firewall, I wasn't even here.  I
    don't bother with logging pings at the office so I don't know if this
    is widespread or I just happened to be singled out for some reason.

    Anyone else seen this?

    Jeff