Re: Strange pings from akamai? {1-112POX}

From: Customer Care at Akamai (ccareat_private)
Date: Thu Aug 08 2002 - 10:30:49 PDT

    Hi Jeff,

    This is Kevin from Customer Care at Akamai Technologies.  I noticed your
    email to this list and wanted to respond to your message.

    Akamai Technologies is a content delivery company that serves HTTP and
    streaming content for many of the most popular Internet web-sites. Akamai's
    network consists of 12,900+ servers in over 1000 networks across 66
    countries. Our patented "intelligent" algorithms dynamically map a user
    request to the closest (network-wise) available Akamai server.

    Our company sometimes does some research on internet connectivity using
    pings.  The goal of our research is to improve download times for end users.
    We use standard pings and take measures to ensure there is no risk of a ping
    flood attack.  The ping activity is intended to try to triangulate the
    location of nameservers with respect to our datacenters in order to provide
    end users with better performance when they download web pages which are
    being carried on the Akamai network.

    We regret any inconvenience this may have caused.  I will send you a
    separate email with a custom URL for you to enter your IP address should you
    wish to be excluded from our testing.

    I hope this information helps.

    - Kevin
    Customer Care