RE: Odd scans and stuff bouncing off firewalls

From: Steve Vawter (svawterat_private)
Date: Tue Aug 13 2002 - 09:57:33 PDT

    Another reason (other than using the numbers for cash) that I can see is
    that they might better help decipher where an attack that made it
    through the filters came from. If you only have the few packets that
    made it through to use to backtrack to an attacker, it may be harder to
    find them.

    But, of course, without the right data filters, finding the pattern in
    the chaos is near impossible sometimes...