Re: Odd scans and stuff bouncing off firewalls

From: Craig Billado (billadocat_private)
Date: Tue Aug 13 2002 - 10:50:21 PDT

    Nexus,

    I agree that there is a lot of overhead maintaining external IDS sensors.
    In the event that the "filtering device" fails, however, subsequent attacks
    into and through the DMZ may be difficult to detect without them.
    Unfortunately, most architectures are not unlike a good dessert bar:
    "crunchy on the outside, chewy on the inside." If an attacker can get
    through the perimeter, subsequent attacks are often easily hidden and
    poorly defended against. During certain investigations, I have found the
    logs from external sensors to be helpful in this regard. If you feel that
    the border firewall is impervious to attack or compromise -- moreover, that
    the internal sensors are equipped to detect the consequences thereof --
    then I suppose an external sensor can be dismissed. Otherwise, I'd keep one
    out there on the wild-side.

    Sincerely,

    Craig L. Billado, CISSP

    There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary, and
    those who don't.

    [DISCLAIMER:  Craig's opinions do not necessarily represent those if IBM,
    its subsidiaries or business partners.]

                          "Nexus"
                          <nexusat_private-w        To:       <incidentsat_private>
                          ay.co.uk>                cc:
                                                   Subject:  Odd scans and stuff bouncing off firewalls
                          08/13/2002 09:57
                          AM

    Just a quick straw poll to see if anyone has any hard data that supports
    the
    logging and analysis of traffic that bounces off of filtering devices as
    part of a business security plan ?   Other than generating attack metrics
    wave under the noses of senior managment at budget time, is there any
    definite _business_ requirement to have IDS sensors outside the firewall or
    firewall "drop" logs et al regularly examined in the context of "external"
    attack sources ?

     "We defended against X bazillion hack attacks last year so we need a
    bigger
    budget for more stuff.."
    BableFish (H2G2 version) : "Tons of port scans and worms from non
    accountable netblocks bounced off of the firewall"

    I don't bother to chase anything from anywhere unless it makes it through
    the filters because I could care less and it would IMHO purely be a time
    sink and even then only if it's from a netblock that has a whois abuse@
    entry.   As I said, this is purely my own view, on my own network knowing
    the sheer amount of background radiation on the internet, so I would
    appreciate some other points of view.

    Cheers.