RE: Subseven Scans

From: H C (keydet89at_private)
Date: Wed Aug 14 2002 - 11:04:54 PDT

    > "it was determined by examining the contents of the
    > drive in question, and seeing a directory
    > structure that appeared to be one that had been
    > infected.

    What about the directory structure led you to believe
    it was infected?  Was it the presence of certain
    files?  If so, which ones?  The existance of "control
    characters" is inconclusive...as you said, many of
    these hosts seemed to be home systems.  Also, the OP
    stated that many of the hosts he saw were in
    Korea...so perhaps the "control characters" were
    simply foreign language characters.

    > You wont find
    > normal people creating directories with
    > control codes in them, and since more than 1 out of
    > the 20 + hosts had that
    > type of sign, its assumed they are in
    > fact infected with something.

    Ah...again..."assumed".

    > It also showed sings that these were not
    > business systems, and of a home type of system,
    > which can lead to a conclusion that they were less
    > secure than business
    > systems, and more prone to have stuff uploaded on
    > them.  Most the hosts had
    > MS file sharing enabled, with write access from the
    > root of the drive. Just
    > another sign
    > to lead to a formidable conclusion"

    As we've discussed, the issue of your actually
    accessing the machines abounds.  From another list,
    here is an excerpt from CA state law:

    1:  knowingly and without permission access or caused
    to be accessed any computer, computer system, or
    computer network.  (PC 502(c)(7)

    So, as you can see, this issue I've presented of your
    accessing the hosts isn't a fantasy I've made
    up...it's a fact.

    > leads one
    > to believe that this is the work of one person
    > hopping from system to
    > system, quite possibly to try to break ACL's on the
    > borders.

    I'm not really clear on how SYN packets can be used to
    "break ACL's [sic] on the borders".

    > There was no effort on my part to determine
    > if an infection on an
    > attacking host was causing the scan or not. The
    > application source of the
    > scan made no difference in my analyses"

    Okay.  I guess maybe I find it a little hard to
    believe that you'd go through all the trouble of
    scanning these remote hosts, accessing the drives,
    determining that write access is available to the root
    of the drive, and yet not give any specific data
    beyond that.  After all, there are a number of tools
    you could have run...many of which I've specifically
    detailed the usage of in this and other lists...in
    order to determine the root cause of the scan.
    Information regarding the root cause would be
    extremely useful in answering the question posed by
    the OP..."what is this?"

    From the data you have gathered, it's clear that this
    may be a zombie or remotely controlled app of some
    kind, perhaps even an IRC bot.  However, again I find
    it difficult to understand why you would go through
    the trouble of accessing these systems, viewing the
    file structure, identifying control codes in the
    directory structure, but never say what the directory
    structure or control codes are, or even what led you
    to believe that the systems were infected.  After all,
    since you'd gone that far already, you wouldn't even
    need write access to the drive to determine what was
    actually on the system...a simple "dir" or "tree"
    command would suffice.

    At this point, let me simply state that my intention
    here isn't to create "drama" or to complain about
    anyone.  I am simply pointing out that on the lists,
    when an incident like this occurs, very often we take
    some steps, but don't go far enough.  In the long
    wrong, going half way and speculating about the rest
    of the issue is actually more harmful to the community
    as a whole than simply ignoring the SYN packets in the
    first place.

    All I'm suggesting is that if you're going to
    investigate a situation, do so, but do so fully and
    completely.  The reason I suggest this is b/c for the
    most part, we (as a community) aren't all that good at
    detecting and investigating incidents...let alone
    reporting them.  What I've been trying to do by
    posting to the list and asking questions of other
    posters has been to increase the level of awareness of
    what can be done and what should be done to
    investigate an incident.

    > "The community can benefit from whatever they can.

    The community benefits from whatever is provided by
    its constituent members.

    > 1: Windows hosts, all of them - fact.
    > 2: MS Shares at the root level, some of them. -
    > fact.
    > 3: Sequentially scanned, not simutaneous - fact.
    > 4: Hosts were not spoofed. - fact.
    > 5: Some hosts showed signs of virus via the CTRL
    > chars that were used to
    > create directories on their shares. - fact.

    Something else to consider is that "tagged" FTP
    directories have also shown signs of control
    characters in the directory structure...but those
    systems were largely used as responsitories for
    copyrighted data, and did not generally lead to active
    malware, particularly the type of activity described
    in this thread.

    > 6: How long the attack lasted. - fact.
    > 7: Was the attack successful. - fact.

    It would seem that the "attack", if that's what you
    can call it, was hardly successful at all.  After all,
    all you received were SYN packets, correct?