Re: All versions of windows infected?

From: Axel Pettinger (apiat_private)
Date: Sat Sep 07 2002 - 01:03:21 PDT

    Iamhatingitat_private wrote:

    > I have been doing research on one of the latest problems with all
    > microsoft products but with little success. it appears that someone or
    > some system is infecting and rooting all types of windows boxes.  no
    > one really knows how or by what method this is bieng done by.  But
    > virus and worm have been rulled out.  here is more information on the
    > matter if you dont allready have it.
    > http://www.techtv.com/news/security/story/0,24195,3398556,00.html

    Maybe you should also read Microsoft's Knowledge Base Article (Q328691)
    <http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q328691>, then
    you'll see that the backdoor trojan is known and also the (worm-like)
    intrusion technique used by this malware is certainly not new. See also
    the following post and follow the link mentioned in it ...
    <http://groups.google.com/groups?as_umsgid=3D7794D5.2BDA1B37%40epost.de>

    > but my question is i have found one of the files in my system
    > in zipeed files that have not been updated in 6 months
    > the file name is WS_ftp and here is the source
    > hope some of this helps..
    >
    > [Ipswitch]
    > HOST=ftp.ipswitch.com
    > UID=anonymous
    [snip]

    This file doesn't belong to the trojan package. Apart from that, forget
    the file names as they can be easily changed ...

    Regards,
    Axel Pettinger