Re: Q328691 ?

From: Security (security@mail-arc.com)
Date: Fri Sep 06 2002 - 16:37:00 PDT

    We've seen lots of compromises on Windows 2K/XP
    boxes with evidence of earlier (Mar-May) compreomises.
    We have found cmd.exe backdoors at ports 1111:tcp
    and 2468:tcp plus lots of xdcc bots.  Only one problem:
    we don't know how they are getting in.  We are pretty
    sure it is not the following:

        o virus from email or web browsing
        o weak passwords
        o problems with media player.
        o open shares

    The only common denominator we found is SMB.
    We had large 445:tcp scans around the same time
    as the latest compromises.  Could it be:

           http://online.securityfocus.com/bid/5556

    Bob Todd
    Advanced Research Corporation (r)
    http://www-arc.com