Re: Q328691 ?

From: H C (keydet89at_private)
Date: Sat Sep 07 2002 - 04:27:08 PDT

    > It appears that (one
    > of - there might be more) infection vectors is
    > brute-force attack on
    > administrator account, using few very simple
    > passwords (and few account names).

    My analysis of the "russiantopz" IRC bot was
    predicated by the primary file being dumped onto an
    IIS5.0 server.  Seems the admins had the mistaken
    notions that (a) The Windows Updates included the
    patch for directory transversal, and (b) leaving
    default permissions and groups in place was just fine.