Re: SV: Q328691 ?

From: H C (keydet89at_private)
Date: Sat Sep 07 2002 - 04:44:02 PDT

    > I believe the following link might be of interest
    > and provide you with
    > further information about this malware.

    Very interesting and detailed write up.
    One small suggestion, though, for completeness only.
    When dealing w/ binaries on Win32 systems, one may
    very often find resource information still compiled
    into the executable...product version information,
    etc.  MS does this with most all of their EXE files
    (can't say 100% as I haven't tested them all).
    However, when I analyzed the russiantopz bot, this is
    one of the first things I did, and found that the bot
    was mIRC 5.82, and that the program to hide the mIRC
    client window from the desktop was "hidewndw.exe".
    From the research I did to support my findings, this
    seems to be a very popular combination.

    The bot I analyzed had been dropped on an IIS 5.0
    server, and through testing, I was able to verify that
    the final executable (ie, the bot itself) would have
    only been running in the IUSR_* context...no Admin
    passwords were guessed.  If the compressed package of
    files had included any of the priv escalation EXEs
    (the Masy worm included the DebPloit EXE in it's
    package), things might have been worse.

    I think that the linked articles/web sites have
    pointed out a lot of very interesting info, and filled
    in the gaps left by the MS "analysis".  In particular,
    these things aren't so much insideous, as they are
    successful due to laziness on the part of the admins.
    If these bits of malware really are as rampant as the
    alert would have us believe, then perhaps it's not so
    much a lack of security in MS products as it is in the
    culture of the administrators.